Hair Extension Methods ✰ Pros and Cons
Hi loves, I get a lot of questions wondering what hair extension is best suited for their hair type and what is the difference between each method. I thought I would quickly break down both of these answers for you and hopefully this helps you with your decision!Glam by Lexx Hair Extensions offer Tape In, I Tip, Hand Tied Weft, Clip Ins, Halos, Hair Toppers, and many more. Today I am going to be talking about Tape In, I Tip, Hand Tied Wefts and Clip In Extensions. So if you are interested in getting hair extensions or just curious then keep on reading!
✰ Choosing a hair extension method can be overwhelming but it is important that you choose the one that is best suited for you. Hair type, lifestyle, and budget are some factors that matter.
✰ Micro Link (I Tip) ✰
This extension method is where small sections of your hair are pulled through a small bead and clamped shut with a pair of plyers. I like to use copper cylinders lined with silicone to protect your natural hair from breakage. These tools can be found on on www.glambylexx.com!
• Since the extensions are individual strands, the hair moves a little more naturally.
• The application uses no heat or glue.
• Hair is reusable, and any extensions that may have slid down or off can be fixed in about an hour by an experienced technician.
• One of the timeliest methods of hair extensions, Experienced stylists can complete in 2-3 hours.
• Beads or locks can be visible if not placed appropriately and will slip more easily than any other method.
• The attachment points are made out of copper making it hard which can be uncomfortable especially the first couple of days after application.
• Wearers often complain of a headache several days after application if the application applies tension at the application point. You may also experience discomfort or an itchy scalp within the first couple weeks after application.
• Not suitable for thin, fine hair as the bonds can be visible through the hair.
• The application requires a high learning curve for a successful application and removal of this method, and if done incorrectly can cause hair breakage and damage.
Avoid use of oils or silicone-based products near the attachments. I tip method last around 3 months before needing to be re-fitted (as they have grown 1.5 inches away from your scalp).
✰ Tape in Extensions ✰
Polyurethane coated wefts/panels with double sided tape attached ranging between 1″ – 4″ long is applied on either side of the wearer’s hair “sandwiching” the clients hair between two panels.
• The safest method of hair extensions available as the weight of the panels is spread over a larger area causing no damage to the client’s hair.
• The fastest method of application. Volume applications take 10-30 minutes and full-length application 40-60 minutes.
• Reusable and the hair can be worn for up to 6-8 weeks per application, fitting into your salon visit cycle.
• Reusable method of extensions lasts between 6-8 weeks which fits into your salon visit cycle.
• One of the most natural looking hair extension method available.
• Most comfortable method of hair extensions.
• No heat or tools required for an application.
• The easiest method for hairdressers to learn which increases the likelihood of customer satisfaction.
• You can’t wash your hair or excessively sweat for 24-48 hours after application as the bond needs time to cure and adhere properly to the hair.
• The use of any silicone or oil-based products directly on the adhesive may cause the panels to slip.
• Some companies tape can be very tacky and messy during reapplication.
How long do they last? Tape Ins are considered semi-permanent. Typically, they last 2-3 months before you need to remove and re-apply them. Just like any other hair, however, it depends on how well you take care of them and on how quickly your hair grows. The most asked question I get is "Can I wear my hair up?" and yes you can, the tapes are still movable and are easy to hide in the hair.
Avoid any silicone or oil-based products at the root of the hair. Brush hair daily from root to tip. Style hair as normal.
✰ Luxury Invisible Tape In Extensions✰
Luxury Invisible Tapes are designed to imitate hair growing from your own scalp. With proper installation and appropriate colour matching, this hair extension structure makes is literally inconspicuous for others to see.
If you look closely, the hair is individually wefted through the tapes, making it much easier to hide in the hair , look unbelievably realistic, and add an undetectable transformation while adding fuller, voluminous hair! The strip of tape on the band is also easier to remove, leaves minimal residue and is more gentle on the hair! Perfect for any hair type, especially for girls with thin hair!
✰ Hand-Tied Extensions ✰
Hand-tied hair extensions are ideal for people with thick and/or coarse hair. This method includes multiple rows of “hand-tied” wefts sewn to beaded attachment points which incorporate string/cotton yarn.
• Natural looking and lightweight.
• Comfortable and undetectable.
• Most suitable for thick, coarse hair.
• Can use oil-based products on the scalp.
• No heat or glue is required for an application.
• Tension points systems can lead to hair loss from traction alopecia.
• Damaging for women with thin fine hair and/or a shallow follicular funnel.
• Not suitable for women experiencing active hair loss.
• A difficult system to learn as it involves sewing and application can take several hours.
• If the hair extensions are not washed regularly, bacteria can build up and cause infection.
• Extensions may be uncomfortable, tight, and cause headaches after an application.
• Most expensive method
Wash hair regularly. Avoid over styling, as this can cause the braids to come loose. Shampoo, blow-dry, curl or straighten as you would with your normal hair for best results. Maintenance appointment for a move up every 4 – 8 weeks.
✰ Clip In Hair Extensions✰
Clip in hair extensions is a temporary hair extension method, where wefts of hair are applied using small pressure sensitive clips. These are a great option for those who are not ready to commit to wearing extensions on a daily basis. Most suitable for special occasions or events as the extensions can and will need to be removed before bedtime. If you prefer to not wear clip-ins, there are also hairpieces available that are attached using an undetectable wire. These clip-less extensions are often referred to as halo hair extensions that can be found on www.glambylexx.com. Glam by lexx Hair Extensions recently added Seamless Clip In Extensions, which have a special lace tracks that are more invisible and used to keep the natural hair flat and damage free.
Budget: The cost for clip in extensions depends on the type of hair, grams of the hair and length.
• Greater versatility by having the option to apply and remove the hair on a daily basis.
• Non-commitment means you have the ability to change your hair color or style often.
• Hair can be taken in and out by the hair wearer, without having to go to a licensed cosmetologist.
• Clip in hair extensions cannot be worn by hair wearers for long periods of time and must be removed before bedtime.
• Clips clipped in the same place repetitively for extended periods of time can lead to hair loss.
• Not ideal for thin, fine hair as clips and base could be too bulky or heavy for the hair wearer.
Wash hair extensions only when needed and apply a deep conditioner if the hair becomes dry or dull. Use a wide tooth comb or Loop brush to comb extensions. Brush before storing in Glam by lexx Hair Extensions box and away from sunlight, as prolonged exposure to light will fade the colour.